You probably took the title of this blog two ways. We often use the term “give it up” to communicate to someone to stop what they’re doing… or it’s a slang we use to indicate we intend to have sex… neither is what I’m referring to in today’s post. Most of you have heard the saying “It’s better to give than to receive” but who of you truly believes that? I know all of you would say you do but let’s evaluate your actions.
1. When you give someone a birthday card or gift do you get bent out of shape if they don’t say “thank you?”
2. When Christmas comes around and you don’t get a gift in return for the one you gave do you feel some kind of way and vow not to make the same mistake next year?
3. If you see someone in distress and offer to help in any way do you then reach out to them later to arrange a form of repayment?
4. If your neighbor needs help with raking the leaves or carrying groceries are you upset if they don’t offer to pay you for your services?
5. For my church folks… Do you tithe because you want something in return and not because it’s a command in the Bible?
If you’re answer is “YES” to one or all of these questions I challenge you think differently about giving. Here’s my rule: I don’t give anything away that I expect to get back… money, time, or gifts. When I give, it’s because I have a heart toward the person to give. I may expect to get a basic “thank you” just based off proper manners but if I don’t it doesn’t affect how I feel about what I offered away. I may think less of the person’s character but I don’t regret what I gave them because it wasn’t about them. Think of it like this, giving isn’t taking anything away from you. It’s opening up yourself to receive more from God. What you receive by obeying the voice of God is far greater than what anyone could do for you in return for a favor. Our Father is others minded so if we are to have the mind of Christ, we should take on that same mindset. Give with the expectation that God is pleased and will bless you. Stop allowing other people to dictate how you give. Purpose in your heart to give more this year and watch how much more you receive out of life as a result.
Luke 6:38, “Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.”
Mark 4:24-25 “Listen carefully to what I am saying—and be wary of the shrewd advice that tells you how to get ahead in the world on your own. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity. Stinginess impoverishes.”
Remember, God is your source not man.
Reblogged this on The BOLD & The FABULOUS and commented:
“Giving isn’t taking anything away from you. It’s opening yourself to receive more from God.” So give it up!! Check out my latest blog! It’s Tuesday with Bianca!